Friday, May 15, 2015

Chapter Twenty-Three Visuals and Inspirations.

Hey Y’all, 
First of all before I dive into this, I want to thank everyone for being so understanding that I was in a state of mourning as I had written chapter 23 of Rage in Hell. On March 26, 2015, I very suddenly lost my father. He was 88 years old and losing my father was one of the hardest things to ever happen to me. I am not close to my family really, so I literally had to not only handle the loss of my loved one but I had to put together his funeral and settle his final debts and things all by myself because my family did not help me. It has since been nearly two months since his passing and I don’t believe I’ve gotten three phone calls to check on. I’ve received more support online than in real life and that speaks volumes about some people. So I just wanted to thank everyone and let you all know I appreciate every last one of you. 
Now, let’s get down to the story, shall we? Chapter Twenty-Three, for me, is the beginning of the bridging of the two parts of life for Vylette Meraux. Because, yes, she’s set foot into the world of the wealthy with Michael Jackson before, but this truly is her foray into it and starting to establish herself slowly within it, on the eve of the theatre openings. 
The chapter began with Vylette idling on the balcony of Jackson Manor having a cup of coffee and still in her pajamas 
image

She’d recently been disappointed by Zelda Cormier, who’d had to cancel their luncheon because her daughter Zuzu had injured herself. (I’m thinking of making this a running theme for the Zuzu character, keep her accident-prone, much like I was as a child.) Vylette also ponders the conundrum presented with Jermaine Jacksons philandering around with Wallis Pelant, the town slut. Vylette is convinced the association will do nothing but cause trouble and so as not to divulge the plot, I can’t say yay or nay on that topic as of yet. 
Vylette hears Michael sacking out Antoine on the telephone--again--and goes to see what’s causing the hubbub this time. Michael at the time is dressed casually in one of his “uniforms” of a button-down and slacks. Wanting only to make her happy and bring a smile back to her face, Michael not only suggests that the two of them go on a date into the City, but also, go to tour his Palac theatre together, which overjoys Vylette. Before the scene is over, a lit-up Marlon comes in complaining about Jermaine and his “gutter whore” and how he does not want the two of them to spoil the holiday for all the rest of them. 
Sometime later, Vylette and Michael are on Main street in the Parish en route to New Orleans, and as such, they are both better dressed for the occasion. Michael wears a sleek, navy chalk-stripe suit, with his signature gemmed brooch on the lapel, this time a Fleur-de-Lis. 
image


image

Vylette is also turned out beautifully in an ivory, floral print dress. 
image

I used this dress as Vylette’s, but I wasn’t so fond of the blue pattern on it, so I opted for a lighter, airier ivory print. 
image

YES I EVEN FOUND THE PRINT. 
Michael goes into the five-and-dime to buy some matches, leaving Vylette with an enamel box of bonbons to keep her occupied until he returns: 
image

As Vylette greedily indulges, she makes a shocking discovery in the glove box of Michael’s Cadillac--he owns a gun. 
image

I’ll bet you didn’t think the golden scrollwork gun with the mother-of-pearl handle was real.! If Michael Jackson was going to fill someone with hot lead, this is what I STRONGLY think he’d use. The gun only serves to enchant Vylette, whom begins romantic daydreaming of him brandishing the weapon to defend her honor. She is wrenched from the daydream, when she encounters Steven Wilkes and a few of his friends in town and he confronts her about being engaged to Michael Jackson. 
This last segment is later revealed to be an illusion, brought on by the heat of a summer’s day, much to Michael’s worry. Fearing for her health, he quickly pulls off the road into a small gas station. 
image

Michael accosts the attendant on duty for a cool drink for Vylette, getting a bottle of Coke. Once Vylette comes around and assures him he’s well, Michael gives the attendant a generous tip and the couple continues on to New Orleans, where there visit the Gilded Lily for lunch. 
I chose the Lily as the place to introduce a new, and what I hope to be a controversial character to the story--Nora Belloq. She had a very brief conversation with Vylette in which she explained she’d missed the Gala by a day thanks to an angry little German Anti-Semite (whom I leave nameless but continue to hint at as he was garnering quite a following by 1931 in Europe) whom offended her because Nora was half-Jewish. I based Nora on another one of the actresses who lost the bid to have Vylette modeled after her--Norma Shearer. 
image

Norma Shearer as I modeled Nora after her for the meeting in the Gilded Lily. Norma wasn’t actually half Jewish, but I believe her husband, Irving Thalberg was. I wanted a Jewish character to show that the Club is progressive. You know of any other country clubs in the 1930s that would allow Colored or Jewish members? Didn’t think so! She’s one of the movers and shakers in the Country Club, but I can’t say too much because again, this woman is the one who will shake up everything in the story and cast a new light on the entire Fleur-de-Lis Club. Just wait and see! 
After stuffing Vylette to near bursting with fried catfish and all the trimmings, Michael presents Vylette with a bottle of perfume, called East of Egypt: 
image

I really did my homework. I didn’t think I would get into Egyptian Revival the way I did, but it really did appeal to me once I got into it, looking for things to do with Michael Jackson’s office. And I knew Michael was kind of into it in real life because he had an ER harp that I saw go on auction some time ago. (And we’ve all seen the Remember the Time video) 
I had Michael explain himself and how he wanted Vylette to be his Cleopatra. At first I was going to have her be Nefertiti--the character Iman was in the music video, but I changed my mind because Iman REALLY looks like Nefertiti and I didn’t want half of tumblr on my ass having a white-looking girl as that, so I chose Cleopatra. At least then I could at least say Michael’s friend Liz Taylor portrayed her in film role, but I digress. 
You don’t know how long I’ve seen sitting and waiting to get into Michael Jackson’s Palace theatre. This isn’t something I threw together at the spur of the moment. I think I started researching for the Palace before I even began writing my story. I named the theatre the Palace, because if you ever notice, that’s the name of the movie theatre from the Thriller music video. Of course, I went above and beyond the little neighborhood movie shack. When I went into this, all I knew was two things. Michael Jackson spent over one million dollars in 1931 money--the equivalent of about 10 times as much today--and I knew Michael Jackson’s style. Very rich, opulent, royal, much like how he decorated his homes. Almost verging on the side of gaudy if not so beautiful. I must have reviewed about 30 different theatres and as I said, the Palace almost DID have an Egyptian style interior., but I changed my mind. Michael’s Palace is modeled after a real, still working theatre in Los Angeles.
image


image


image


image


image


image


image


image


image

BET YOU DIDN’T THINK IT WAS REAL!
Yes, I went all in, once I found this spectacular façade. It basically screamed Michael to me, and I  knew I had to use it as my theatre. It would have been criminal not to . Thankfully, between Pinterest and Google, I managed to find all of these wonderful interior pictures of the theatre and just went from there. I really wanted a place that would enchanting and magical Now the bit where it says “Take the Magic With You” is not originally in the theatre in Los Angeles. I found that in a different theatre, but it really looked to me like something Michael would have in his own place, and so I used it. Part of the writing process for me, is when I do things like this, I don’t so much think as myself, I don’t think as Tiffeny would think. I think as my character would, be it Michael or Marlon or Lorraine or Vylette. That’s a lot of different hats to wear. 
When Vylette first encourters the lobby, Michael has organized a special treat in which all of the usher boys come and greet her--and are summarily impressed by the boss’ squeeze. 
I decided to put the boys in red uniforms so that they would blend rather well with the surroundings. You’ll also see Michael wearing a trumped up version of the same outfit in an upcoming segment. 
After the boys are dismissed, Michael takes Vylette up to his office. 
To be honest, I made an office out of nothing. I didn’t have any pictures, only that of furniture and built a room around it.
Egyptian-Revival-Mummy-Lamp-L-V-Aronson-1923-Art-Deco-RARE-w-Original-Shade
A Regency Egyptian revival settee designed by Thomas Hope (1769-1831) for the Egyptian Room at his Duchess Street residence in London, c. 1802, and Second Image, a drawing of the Egyptian Room.
AN EGYPTOMANIA POLYCHROME DECORATED THREE FOLD SCREEN cairo, circa 1925 -  decorated on both sides with a seated pharaoh attended by guards height 69 1/2 in.; width 69 in. 176 cm; 175 cm
The Winter mausoleum in Allegheny Cemetery is an Egyptian-revival fantasy. The bronze doors show Mr. Winter himself as a pharaoh embarking on his journey through the underworld.
I worked really hard to base the doors of the office of this, and had Michael with his parents.
Part of me was inspired by the Remember the Time video, although I had Vylette portraying Cleopatra rather than Nefertiti, but both were Queens. 
Michael outfitted Vylette in a custom made costume, which I snatched right off of Claudette Colbert’s body from her portrayal in the 1934 film “Cleopatra” (which I like better than Liz Taylor’s version as it doesn’t drag on half the damn night) I pretty much copied it as I saw it. Claudette wore at lot less in other costumes, but I wanted something slightly revealing, but not vulgar. Something Vylette’s mother could still cause a row about but that her father could save her for. 


Claudette Colbert como Cleopatra (via Cinema Classico no Facebook)

Michael did shoot a color photograph of Vylette and while very rare, it was possible with processes like Autochrome and Kodachrome to shoot still photos. (I really do all of my research. This is what happens when you don’t have a life and spend 15 hours a day on the computer.) 
When I first started on this part, I wanted Michael to actually lose control of himself, rip the garments from Vylette and ravish her on the spot, but again, I changed my mind. 
That was completely out of character for Michael Jackson, to do such a thing as manhandling his little fiancée and then I think the readers would have been mad about it too. So instead, I restrained him, having him simply touch himself rather than harm his girlfriend. And it comes across illustrating the struggle of man with his own self. Michael knows he loves Vylette, and is tremendously attracted to her sexually, but at the same time, he is a gentleman, raised right and respecting how Vylette was raised and her sort of morals. 
Also Vylette struggles with herself, as the two of them know good and well that Marlon and Lorraine didn’t wait and as such can barely keep their hands off one another. But I wanted to show that Michael and Vylette were sort of a dying breed. Yes. They had fooled around, but hadn’t gone “there” yet. It is coming, trust me, and when it happens, it’ll knock your hair straight.
More is on the way, and thanks so much for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment